About Mr Barnes
My name is James Ralph Barnes and I am a paediatric and young adult orthopaedic surgeon based in Bristol. My practice covers the full range of paediatric orthopaedic conditions and trauma as well as young adult hip and sports-related injuries.
A Fully Trained Orthopaedic Surgeon
I completed my orthopaedic training in South West England after spending a year in Sydney as a senior resident officer. Following this, I undertook fellowships at the RCH (Royal Children’s Hospital) in Melbourne, before returning to Bristol where I was appointed as a consultant at the Bristol Royal Hospital for Children and Bristol Royal Infirmary in 2015.
Since my appointment as a consultant, I was awarded the Mark Paterson Travelling Fellowship, in order to further my expertise in young adult hip dysplasia and its management.
Post-Graduate Medical Qualifications:
- Diploma in Orthopaedics (SICOT)
- Diploma in Football Medicine (FIFA)
- Diploma in Medical Education
- Membership of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Fellowship of the Royal College of Surgeons
- Children’s Hospital Staff Award
- Mark Patterson Travelling Fellowship
- Local Award for Medical Education
- Honorary Clinical Teacher University of Bristol
- British Society of Children’s Orthopaedic Surgeons (BSCOS)
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA)